Indiana's Spousal Maintenance Statute: Can I Get Financial Support After My Divorce?

Posted By Hollingsworth & Zivitz Attorneys at Law || 15-Dec-2017

One of the most common questions we get asked during a divorce is regarding alimony. Does Indiana have it? What about spousal support? Will I have to pay either to my ex? The short answer: no. While Indiana does not require parties to pay alimony or spousal support, Indiana does recognize what is known as spousal maintenance.

Spousal maintenance may be awarded in a divorce or legal separation, but under limited circumstances. The physical or mental incapacitation of a spouse, the physical or mental incapacitation of the parties’ child, or what Indiana coins “rehabilitative” maintenance are all circumstances in which a court may award spousal maintenance. Of course, a spouse can always agree to voluntary pay another spouse maintenance or alimony, but let’s take a closer look at the statutory circumstances that a court may order maintenance.

If a spouse’s mental or physical incapacitation affects their ability to support himself or herself, a court may order the other spouse to pay maintenance. The courts can take in to account the disabled spouse’s ability to earn income as well as the other spouse’s ability to provide for maintenance. A key take away from this provision of the statute is that the court may find maintenance necessary, which means a judge may use his discretion when determining whether to award maintenance.

If the parties are the parents of a child who is physically or mentally incapacitated, the court may find an award of maintenance appropriate. This depends on a few things, one of the most important being whether the child’s incapacitation requires the spouse needing maintenance to forego employment. Another factor the court will consider is whether the parties have assets or marital property available to them that would allow them to provide for the spouse and the child’s needs. It’s important to note here that a court has complete discretion to determine what they deem appropriate in terms of the amount and length of maintenance that is necessary.

Courts can award what is known as rehabilitative maintenance, which is the most common of the three types of maintenance awarded in a divorce, if the spouse requesting rehabilitative maintenance lacks an ability to support himself or herself due to lack of education or training. In these cases, courts look at several factors, some being the education level, training and employment experience of each party both at the time of marriage and at the time of divorce, the earning capacity of each party, the extent to which a spouse sacrificed education and/or employment because of homemaking or child-care responsibilities, and the time and expense necessary for the spouse to find appropriate employment. While a court’s decision to award rehabilitative maintenance is discretionary, the maximum length of time this type of maintenance can be awarded is 3 years.

What happens if you’re ordered to pay spousal maintenance and then you lose your job? The statute does allow for modification or revocation of an award of spousal maintenance, however the circumstances are, again, limited. Like the laws surrounding modification of a child custody or support order, a court can modify a spousal maintenance order under 2 different circumstances. If you can prove there’s been a substantial and continuing change in circumstances that make the current order unreasonable, you’ll have a good argument to modify. The second route to getting a modification is a two-prong test that’s less straightforward. If you can prove you’ve been ordered to pay an amount in child support that differs by more than 20% of what you should be paying under the Indiana Child Support Guidelines and that order was at least 12 months prior, you may be in luck.

As you can see, the parameters surrounding spousal maintenance are limited. If you have questions about spousal maintenance, divorce, or any other family law matter, the attorneys at Hollingsworth & Zivitz, P.C. have the experience, the understanding, and the compassion to assist with your family law needs. If you have questions or concerns please contact our firm at 317.DIVORCE or visit our website at

The laws governing legal advertising in the state of Indiana require the following statement in any publication of this kind: “THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT”. Our website is provided to you for informative purposes only and is not intended as legal advice you should act on alone, nor should it be considered a replacement for obtaining legal counsel and representation. Furthermore, all material found on this site, and the use of any of the functions of this site, including, but not limited to, blogging and commenting, e-mail, in-person and phone call communications, as well as voice-mail, does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please abstain from sharing confidential information with our firm until a formal agreement to retain our services has been signed and executed by both parties. Thank you.

Categories: Divorce

Get the legal help you need now!

Start with a consultation with our lawyers.

Send My Message